Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Josh

This morning I was gone when the kids got ready for school.  I was at the nursing home working with the CNAs trying to figure out how to supervise my students when they come for clinical.  I had to leave at 5:45 this morning and I was gone all day until 2:00 this afternoon.

When I got home, Craig said that in the morning, Josh had thrown a fit about going to school, that he didn't want to go.  Craig finally told him in exasperation that he was going to school with Brigham in the car and that when he got to school, he could stay in the car all day long if he didn't want to go in.

Right after that, Brigham and the rest of the kids got home from school and Brigham told me the story about what had happened.  Brigham said that when he got to school with Josh, that Josh refused to go in and said that his dad had told him he was allowed to stay in the car.  Brigham parked his car in the student parking lot and went in, leaving Josh in the car.

And that's where Josh stayed.  All day long.  Josh said that he took a nap for a while and got bored. Brigham came out to check on him at lunchtime and found him still there.  He brought him into school with him and fed him lunch and then took him to his physics class and choir.

So now Brigham's teachers - my colleagues - think that I send my six year old son to school with
Brigham to babysit.

Aaaargh.  This was a failure on so many levels.  I am appalled.  He could have wandered off and got lost or run over, the car could have heated up and killed him, he could have started walking down the highway...........the terrible possibilities are endless.

I usually trust that everything will be okay when I am gone, but then something like this happens and I realized that I should never go anywhere.  Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment