Friday, October 6, 2017

A Prayer For My Dad

Father in Heaven, I thank thee for my dad.

He has been a good dad to me.  He taught me about thee, about thy gospel and about thy Son.  He taught me about thy commandments.  I remember being little and sitting through Family Home Evening when he taught me and my sisters and Richard about how taking the sacrament was like getting baptized again.  I hadn't understood that before, and the next week when I partook of the sacrament I tried for the first time to be reverent and think of the Savior.  I remember feeling the spirit that day.

I am grateful for all the hard work he did for me and my sisters and my mom.  Never were we in need.  Never did we worry about having enough money.  I had roommates in college that had to balance work and school and worrying about money, but it was all given to me.  I didn't appreciate it at the time, but I appreciate it now.  My nursing career has brought me so many opportunities in my life.  I wouldn't have it if not for Dad.

I am so grateful for his love.  He always tells me that he is proud of me.  He gets choked up when he tells me.  I am grateful for that love, and that he is pleased with my life.  I always wanted to make him proud of me.

I know he has sorrows in his life.  I know that things he has done in the past concern him.  Please comfort him.  Please help him to feel that his life is valuable to so many people.

He has poor health.  I worry about him.  I don't want him to be uncomfortable.  I don't want him to be weak and dependent.  He never wants people to worry about him, to feel like he has to be taken care of.  He always wants to be the one taking care of people.  He always took care of me.

Please bless him.  Please help him to feel of my love.  Please help him to feel of the love all of us have for him, his daughters, his son, his grandchildren.  He has blessed so many of us.  Please bless him.  I pray that Richard might be with him, might comfort him, and that Dad might feel of Richard's love and concern.  I know he has missed Richard so much.  I don't know why Dad had to lose his only son.  It's been hard for him.

I thank thee for him.  I thank thee for the 42 years I have had him as my dad.  I thank thee that he will always be my dad, even after he leaves this life.  I'm grateful to be sealed as part of an eternal family, that that relationship will continue.

Please bless him.

I pray for this in the name of my Savior, of his Savior, Jesus Christ,

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Suzie for this sweet and honest prayer. My thoughts and feelings for our beloved Dad are the same as yours.

    ReplyDelete