Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Happy day of magicfulness for Josh. Or not.

Happy birthday to Joshie today.  Oh my laws could this day have been worse.  Actually yes, I'm sure it could have, but it really was pretty bad.

Craig is chopping today.  The dump wagon started off the day with a flat tire so he called Ron Kelller Tire to come fix it on the double.  This is the third time they've been out this week to fix the same tire.  They finally got it fixed and everyone started chopping - two hours later than they thought they would.  Everything was going strong by lunchtime, with no time to quit.  Craig was running the chopper and Brigham was running the bagger, and I realized that they weren't going to be able to take a break and celebrate Josh's birthday.  And we couldn't do it in the afternoon because Ellie had to milk.  And we couldn't wait until evening because I had my shift at the family history center.  No time for Josh's birthday.

Josh had requested macaroni and cheese for his birthday dinner (gag) so that's what I fixed for lunch.  We sat down to eat it minus Craig and Brigham.  When we were done I called Craig to see if he and Brigham to take a mini break to eat cake and open presents.  He said not only could they not stop, but Harley had just called to say that she was going to be late for the afternoon milking and did I know of anyone who could fill in?  Ellie was scheduled to milk with Harley but she's not able to milk alone.  I didn't have any ideas.  Oh, and by the way, he had heard that the employees had crashed the silage trucks into each other.  WHAT???!!!

I never heard anything more about that and saw the silage trucks going by the window without dents so I decided to assume that was a nasty rumor.

I put a brave face on things and lit Josh's candle by myself and tried to sing as loud as I could with Ellie helping.  After Josh blew out his number 4 candle, we went on the treasure hunt that I had set up for his present, ending up in the bike trailer outside where Josh found his new John Deere trike.  After he tried it out, he wanted to know where his other presents were and accepted things with good grace when I told him that's all there was.

After the festivities, such as they were, Ellie got ready and headed out to milk all by herself until Harley arrived.  And I sat at the table and ate another piece of cake, and then another.  And now I feel sick.

Poor Josh.  He didn't seem disappointed, but I wonder if his little four year old mind and heart is wondering why his special day wasn't so special.  He only gets one birthday a year.  It should be so great.  I wonder what I can do to help him, and myself feel better.  Something.


No comments:

Post a Comment