Wednesday, August 9, 2017

I Hate Statistics and Other Adventures


I'm taking a break from Statistics to write this blog post.  I'm about a third of the way through my Statistics course and it's kicking my behind.  Although I'm currently getting an A- in it, so that's good.

It's been an interesting couple days.  Next week I was all set to begin my masters degree in nursing education at Idaho State University.  On Monday, two days ago, I happened to read the policy at West Side (the school district I teach at) about compensating teachers for getting a masters degree.  My superintendent had told me that they would pay for the whole degree, but the policy read that they would only pay up to $6000.  This was concerning, considering my degree was going to cost $25,000.  I called Spencer Barzee, my superintendent, and the conversation went like this:

Me: I just read West Side's policy on paying for masters degrees and I'm a little concerned, it reads that there is a cap at $6000.  Is that true?

Spencer: No, I'm sorry, we really need to update that policy.  No, we will pay for the whole degree.

Me:  Spencer, its $25,000.

Spencer:  WHAT??!!!  $25,000?? Are you sure?

Me:  Yeah.  

Spencer:  Oh, there's no way we can do that.  I think the most we've ever paid for a degree is $16,000.  I'm so sorry, I had no idea it would be that much.



So the end result was that the district could pay $16,000 and then I would have to pay the remaining $9000. Which I'm not really interested in doing.  The whole idea of getting this degree was having the district pay for it.  

So yesterday I emailed the graduate school and nursing school at ISU and withdrew from the program.  I was feeling pretty low about it.  

At Spencer's urging, I contacted Western Governor's University.  They offer a masters of science in nursing education degree that is much cheaper than ISU's.  I had previously applied for WGU but was rejected because their policy is that you have to be working as a clinical RN and in their eyes, my CNA instructor position didn't count.  On Monday, I emailed WGU and said I know that you rejected me because you think I'm not working as a clinical RN but maybe if you understand what I actually do better, you might reconsider.

I got a call this afternoon from the enrollment counselor at WGU and she said that my email has caused them to re review my resume and have come to the conclusion that I fit their policy and can enroll at WGU!!

SO the end result is that I'm going to get this degree at WGU instead of ISU.  And it is going to cost around $12,000 instead of $25,000.  And I can get it done in a year instead of two years.  And the district will pay for it.  

How's that for an adventurous couple of days????

No comments:

Post a Comment