Sunday, June 14, 2015

Stake Conference

Yesterday I was NOT going to go to the adult meeting for stake conference.  I had had a day.  Craig had disappeared on a four hour bike ride when I thought he was going to be gone an hour and a half.  People from the ward were calling for him, frantic that all the letters from trek were supposed to be turned in and Craig had a bunch of them and did I know where he was?  I tried calling him over and over and he wasn't answering and I started picturing him lying on the side of the road.  Bleeding and calling my name.

I finally located him and picked him up in the van and sped for home like a bullet, giving him the silent treatment, which he cheerfully ignored.

So there was that.  Then I picked up Hayes from Hull Valley scout camp and brought him home.  He gets to come home weekends and he also gets next week off for the trek and our family reunion.  It was nice to have him home at first, but then he started in with the whole list of very expensive items that he NEEDED for camp and all the reasons why I should purchase these for him.  This quickly got old and we got in an argument.

Craig was milking so I would have to go by myself.  I wasn't planning on going at all, but then 6:00 rolled around and I decided I didn't have anything better to do and maybe it would be good to get out of the house.  I threw on a skirt and left.

When I walked into the stake center, one of the very first people I saw was Dr. Bryan Larsen shaking hands.  Dr. Larsen and I used to work together in the GI Lab at Logan Regional Hospital and we're old friends.  I was pretty confused about why he was there, and why he was going around greeting people like he thought he was a general authority or something.

Our conversation went like this:

Me: What are you doing here?

Dr. Larsen: Well hello there!  Good to see you again!  I'm here as your visiting authority!

Me: What?  You're my visiting authority?  How can you be my visiting authority?

Dr. Larsen:  They made me a seventy!

Me:  (Laughing) What?  They made you a seventy??!!  No way!!

Dr. Larsen:  Yep!  (Leaning closer) Don't lose your testimony!!

It was very funny.  I was laughing for about ten minutes after the meeting begun.  And it wasn't that I didn't believe him, I just thought it might be prudent to see some kind of verification.  You wouldn't want just ANYONE to waltz into stake conference, claiming to be a general authority and take charge of the meeting.  I hope President Waldron checked his references.

This is what I thought at first, but then Dr. Larsen gave a fabulous talk.  And another one today.  It was one of the best talks I've heard at stake conference.  I kept watching him at the podium, picturing him in a yellow non-permeable gown and latex gloves, manipulating the colonoscope and swearing about the *%&? covering the walls of the colon.  "How am I supposed to do a scope with all this *%&? in the way??"

I guess it's right what they say:  prophets are human too.
Craig's pictures of Oxford Peak, taken while he should have been tending to his responsibilites instead of shirking them and leaving them to his poor hapless wife who is already overburdened.

No comments:

Post a Comment