Thursday, June 25, 2015

If you could just hand me those keys then I'll be on my way.

It's been a little bit of a struggle being dependant on others.  Not too bad, because Craig and the kids and my mom and Heather and Aneesa and the Relief Society (and the list goes on and on) have been so great.  But I consider myself a pretty independent person, and needing help with the simplest thing like getting dressed has taken some getting used to.

Brigham has been chauffeuring me around everywhere -which has the added benefit of getting him needed driving hours.  Last night, though, I decided I'd had enough.  There was no reason why I couldn't use my left arm to drive.  It would be fine.  I wanted to go work my shift at the Family History Center in Preston, and I was going drive myself.

There was just one little problem.  I couldn't reach the keys.  I sat in the drivers seat and looked down at them, tucked away in the console down by the floor, but my bum arm couldn't reach them.

But it was all good, because Craig had seen me get in the car and he had parked his tractor and was hustling towards me.  He hadn't been in favor of me going to the Family History Center, but there he was, hurrying on his way to help me out.

"Oh Craig, thanks, I just need you to reach - "

"No.  Out."  Holding the door, he looked at me and I suddenly realized that my chances for driving out of here were slim.

"No, I can do it, I can handle it!"  Starting to laugh.  "I just can't reach the keys!"

"Out!"  Motioning with his thumb.  "Get out of the car!"

"But I can do it!"

"No you can't because I'm not going to let you."

Still laughing, I leaned over to try to get the keys myself, but my right hand flopped and clawed at the air, not even close to the desired keys.

I gave up and got out of the drivers seat.  I managed to open the passenger door by myself and Craig did up my seat belt and closed the door.  I let myself be driven to the Family History Center like a baby.

But a much loved baby.

Craig and I have always made fun of recliners.  The only people with recliners are the sick or infirm, and they practically live in them, we always said.  Craig went to U&I Furniture on Monday and picked this out for me and now I practically live in it.  The only problem is that the lever is on the right side so I have to call for someone to come put my feet up.  And then I'm stuck there until someone comes to let me out.


No comments:

Post a Comment