Sunday, October 11, 2020

Cross Country


 


When Ellie was in sixth grade, I told her that I thought she should do cross country.  I have never been all that good at running but I've always wished that I were.  Plus I think that being involved in team sports is a good way to find a tribe and fit in while you are in middle school and high school.  She, being the dutiful daughter that she is, joined the middle school team.  Those first weeks she would come home and fall asleep for hours.  She was constantly wore out.  She said that she was always the last one and could barely finish the practice run.

But then she started to get better.  She never missed practice.  Never.  She went to all the meets.  She tried and tried and tried and got better and better.  Soon she was running distances that I never dreamed that she would be able to.

Then we moved to Cedar.  One of the first things we asked about at the high school was the cross country team.  It was summer and they were in their pre-season practice routine.  The secretaries at the high school enthusiastically told me that the coach of the girls team was a retired physician who had coached for years and years and was just the best person in the world.  

Ellie was a little nervous to start going to practices.  She didn't know anyone and we had just barely moved.   Craig's cousin Mike Carpenter had a daughter who had just graduated from high school and who had ran on the team.  She offered to go with Ellie to the first couple practices.  

Pretty soon Ellie was bringing friends home from practice.  She made so many friends, really nice friends, through cross country.  She got to be good friends with Rever and Collin in the ward and it helped that they all did cross country together.

She had her regional meet yesterday at Canyon View High School here in Cedar.  She ran her heart out - and barely missed making it to state finals.  She was so disappointed and fell on the ground and cried and cried.  

I wish she could see what I see - all the wonderful things that cross country has brought into her life.  The persistence and determination.  The friends and parties.  The health and vigor.  The ability to push past pain.  

Heather texted and suggested that I take her shopping to get her mind off it.  I headed home from taking Josh to his friends house with the determination to do just that, but Rever was at our house and ended staying the whole afternoon and evening - which I'm sure was better than a shopping trip anyway.

I sure love my girl.  I'm so proud of her.  Someday I'm going to be like her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment